Have you ever tried to write RFP (request for proposal) but could not achieve success? Well, here we will share you the professional tips about how to write RFP for web design. It is something that most of the Website Designing Companies uses to analyze your project which helps them in coming up with the best suitable proposal for you. At e-Definers Technology, we receive numerous types of RFPs, from startups, small business to the corporate ones. All we can say some are good and some are bad. But here the question arises, what makes an RFP a perfect one? Let us find the answer below –
What makes a request for proposal happening?
Whenever you feel the need of a website, the first thing we do is to request the agencies for the proposal. It is a common way to submit your RFP to various web designing or Digital Marketing Agencies and get a brief idea about your project and objective. After the successful submission, the companies come up with the best proposed solution matching your needs that covers the nature of work, deadline with costing parameters. Generally, the communication for this followed by phone or email with a question and answer session.
Your RFP should be impressive in order to set a stage for a longer & great partnership with the potential partners. Your request should be clear, concise and marked to the accurate point. It should not be confusing. Creating an easy to understand RFP doesn’t require any rocket science and you need not to be technically sound. In fact, most of RFP we receive are like this only. The sender most of the times not bothered to mention the technical requirements.
As we have discussed, your RFP don’t have to sound boring. With the help of our professional guidelines, you can make your proposal simple and straight to the point which is somehow necessary in order to make the agencies sounds interested in your business. Try to focus on each & every section and make it more interesting. Let us have a look over the important guidelines which will help you in making the RFP without any chaos and hassle –
- Synopsis – Firstly make sure you start writing with the summary of your project. Providing the brief details about your project gives the reader a clear overview about what you are looking for. It should start with the perfect introduction and reason why you are submitting. This will help them in setting the tone for the submitted proposal. Also, include if your website is having some technical issues that users face.
- About Company – It is very important to provide the background of your company or organization in short. Let your vendors know who you are, your industrial connection with the type of audience you tap. It will help the agency to know what exactly you are looking for. Tell them whether you are a marketing expert or a main decision maker in your company. It also matters whether you are a startup, small business or already a well-established company. This will make the vendor clear about what you are all about.
- Prime Objective – Be clear and focused with your objectives. Tell your vendors about the problems your customers face. Emphasize on what you are expecting with your new website. Write it down in one or two sentences. Step by step prioritize your objectives so that your vendor gets to know about the engagement of the users to your website. This will help you in increasing the chances of success with your new website.
- Scope of Project & Output – While writing the RFP at this stage think about the specific services you are looking for. The projects range in different scope as some companies ask for a normal website whereas some ask for the different and creative ones. Below is the list which you can expect from your vendor.
- Visual Identity
- Content Management System Training
- Content Migration
- Content Strategy
- Backend Development
- Graphic Design
- Project Management
- Video Production
- Brand Positioning
- PPC Campaigns
- Quality Assurance And Testing
- On-Site SEO
- Frontend Development
- UX/UI Planning
While requesting a proposal for a website expect the deliverables like wireframes and designs. This important in order to determine the scope of work as your vendor will consider the factors like how long it will take and at what cost. You will get the best suitable proposal for you.
- Understand Sitemap – User experience is one of the key factors that make a website popular. Make sure you list out the pages you want in the navigation menu so that your users will find the navigation easily. It is important to understand that user’s convenience should be on top priority. The visitors should be able to find what exactly he is looking for. By furnishing this information your vendor will get an idea that the number of custom page layouts your website needs. It should be like –
- About Us
- Emphasize on Timeline – This particular section of the request for proposal should answer the question about when would you like to make your project go live. Mention if there is any specific date you want to wrap up the project. Also, anything special you want to specify like a new product launch or any other ad campaign. Being serious about the particular date of making your website go live is extremely important. This will help your vendors to understand the seriousness of the project and he will complete it in a rush.
- Functionality – This is something which will ask your special attention. Here in this detailed section, you need to list out the technical requirements which you want to your website such as payment gateway, user login, modules, integration etc.
Be clear from your mind in terms of your requirement. Whether you want to an e-commerce solution, content management system such as WordPress or Drupal or if you are not sure then clear this to your vendor he will surely will you the best idea for this.
If you are targeting the technical audience to give more emphasize on the functionality. If any third party integration required make sure to discuss in detail like API. We are discussing this because integration requires a lot of time and sources in order to develop.
- Budget – Never forget to mention the budget in your RFP. Give an idea to your vendor about your budget expectation. Keep this thing clear in your mind about the least expensive options. Giving the vendor an idea of your budget and objectives help them in reverting you with the most appropriate solution. You must provide the vendors with any additional services you are looking for such as maintenance, SEO, etc. so that he will keep those services excluded from this. It is a must in order to avoid unnecessary communication with the vendors. Being honest with your expected budget will give them a clear direction towards your project. Be clear and transparent with your project necessities.
- How to Choose Your Vendor – There are few things which should be considered while choosing your vendor such as expertise, background projects, capabilities, in house team, portfolio, projects, support etc. You may find more than one vendor having different expertise in different fields. But the thing that matters here is whether the vendor is suitable for you or not?
Now you have the in-depth details about how you can choose and write RFP for your website designing. Just keep one thing in mind that you should be honest, clear and professional while writing this. The above tips are penned by the Website Designers of e-Definers Technology.